The Department of Veterans Affairs is preparing to launch the Veteran Rapid Retraining Assistance Program (VRRAP), part of the American Rescue Plan, a $1.9 trillion economic stimulus package.
Under VRRAP, qualifying veterans between the ages of 22 and 67 may receive up to 12 months of tuition and fees and a monthly housing allowance based on Post-9/11 GI Bill rates. Other eligibility qualifications include:
• Unemployed due to COVID-19 pandemic
• Not eligible for GI Bill or VR&E benefits
• Not enrolled in a federal or state jobs program
• Not receiving VA disability compensation because you are unable to work
• Not receiving unemployment compensation including enhanced benefits under the CARES Act
VA will provide more information soon at this link on how qualified veterans can apply for the program.
In partnership with the Department of Labor, the VA has published a list of high-demand occupations. The list is available here and includes healthcare, education, media, engineering and high tech opportunities.
The program is limited to a maximum of 17,250 participants and up to $386 million.