I had my IRA in one mutual fund company. The fund was losing money, so I exchanged into another fund with a different company. I asked if I could claim a loss on my taxes as I did not remove any money during the time I had the fund. Their answer was no. About a year later the fund manager was sued by the SEC and lost, so I received money. My question is can I put that money I received back in to my IRA or does that money become ordinary income? Is that money reported on my taxes? It was IRA money to begin with, why shouldn’t it be put back? Thanks. -Tom


These are both questions for your tax adviser, but we’ll give you some feedback. Generally, you can’t take a loss on investments within an IRA. In a situation where you have basis and liquidate all of your IRA (regardless of where they are held) investments, you may be able to take a loss. Check out IRS Publication 590 for all the details. Since the settlement is in effect restoring lost value to the IRA, you should be able to add it to your IRA as a rollover contribution. Ensure you keep a definitive paperwork trail and good luck!